Reinvention -- Key to thriving in your career
Globalization and social media have made the world smaller, more connected and infinitely more competitive. The world has changed. Have you? If you don't have the package that will take you to the next level of your career, you need to reinvent your personal brand.
BrandingPays™, a practical guide to strategic personal branding, will help you refocus your skills and experience so you are the best candidate for the job, career and business opportunities that you desire. Perfect for professionals and entrepreneurs, the step-by-step BrandingPays methodology has been proven in Fortune 500 companies, startups and leading business schools.
- Foreword by Geoffrey Moore
- Best-selling author of Crossing the Chasm
- The Importance of Reinventing Your Personal Brand
- What's Inside BrandingPays
- My Story
- Chapter 1
- Take Charge of Your Personal Brand
- Branding a Political Candidate
- What Is Personal Branding?
- Personal Branding Myths
- What Are the Benefits of Personal Branding?
- Your Goal for Branding
- Every Brand Needs Cake and Icing
- Personal Branding Assessment Questionnaire
- The BrandingPays System: Five Steps to Your Cake and Icing
- Step 1: Positioning
- Position Yourself for Opportunities
- What Is Positioning and Why Do It?
- What Is Your Goal?
- Positioning Triangulation
- Positioning Statement
- Who Is Your Target Audience?
- Problem or Opportunity Statement: What do they need?
- Value Proposition: How can you provide the solution?
- Differentiation: Why are you the best one to provide it?
- Evidence: How can you prove it?
- Sample Positioning Statements
- Chart Your Position
- Iterate to Hone Your Positioning
- Chapter 2 Summary
- Chapter 2 Action List
- Step 2: Messages
- Message for Clarity and Impact
- The Elevator Pitch and Your Evidence
- Sample Elevator Pitches
- Different Value Messages for Different Audiences
- Back Your Positioning Claims with Evidence Messages
- How the Positioning Statement Can Feed Your LinkedIn Profile
- What Is Your Tagline?
- Chapter 3 Summary
- Chapter 3 Action List
- Step 3: Brand Strategy
- How to Develop Your Brand Strategy
- Brand Strategy Platform
- Core Values
- Brand Image
- Brand Promise
- Key Brand Descriptors
- Sample Brand Strategy Platforms
- Chapter 4 Summary
- Chapter 4 Action List
- Step 4: Ecosystem
- Ecosystem: Leverage Influencers to Establish Brand
- Taking It to the People
- What Is the Brand Ecosystem?
- The 90/10 Rule
- The Brand Ecosystem Model
- Take Time for Relationship Building
- Four Keys for Strong Ecosystem Relationships
- Common Bond and Likability
- Two-Way Value
- Ongoing Communications
- Relationship Management
- Identifying Influencers
- Managing Your Ecosystem Relationships
- A Word About Networking
- Chapter 5 Summary
- Chapter 5 Action List
- Step 5: Action Plan
- Build Your Brand Action Plan
- A 360-Degree Brand
- Brand Improvement
- Brand Communication
- Four Phases of Brand Communication Using the Ecosystem Model
- Brand Action Example
- Lessons from Rebranding an Entrepreneurial Company
- A Word of Advice for Entrepreneurs
- Chapter 6 Summary
- Chapter 6 Action List
- 360-Degree Branding: Vision, Symbols, Words and Deeds
- The Care2 Story: Rebranding from the Inside Out
- Vision or Thought Leadership Branding
- Your Look, Your Image: The Basics
- Branding in Multimedia
- Chapter 7 Summary
- Chapter 7 Action List
- Portable Branding and Social Media: Getting Started
- Why You Need to Be in Social Media
- Choose Your Social Networks
- Own Your Online Real Estate
- Your Google Search Results
- Your Avatar
- To Blog or Not to Blog
- Should You Promote Your Personal Brand or Your Business Brand Online?
- Online Reputation Management
- Do a Few Things Well
- Chapter 8 Summary
- Chapter 8 Action List
- Reinvent Your Brand for New Opportunities
- Four Stories on Overcoming Diversity Challenges in Personal Branding and Life
Karen Kang is a recognized brand strategist and the founder and CEO of BrandingPays LLC, a corporate and personal branding company (www.brandingpays.com). She has trained thousands of professionals on the unique BrandingPays™ System for personal branding.
She was a partner with Regis McKenna Inc., the legendary marketing firm that created and launched the Apple brand. She's consulted to more than 150 organizations in the US, Europe and Asia from Fortune 100 companies to non-profits and startups. Her broad experience has included such diverse clients as Ariba, AT&T, Genentech, HP, iCharts, Lavante, Synopsys, Maxtor, NCR, Park Systems, SigmaQuest (Camstar), UC Davis Health System, Webroot and VoyagePrive.
Karen's marketing and communications background gives her a 360-degree view of branding. A former newspaper journalist on both the East and West Coasts, she has held executive positions in marketing consulting, advertising and public relations firms. Karen is a frequent speaker at leading business schools and professional organizations.
She has served on the boards of The Friends of the Palo Alto Library and the Women's Technology Cluster (Astia). She has also donated her time to such worthy non-profit organizations as Girls for a Change, CORO, Asian Business League of San Francisco and Ascend. She is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Mills College, where she holds her B.A. degree in English, and has earned her M.S. degree in Journalism from Boston University.
Follow her on Twitter @karenkang and engage with her on Facebook at http://facebook.com/BrandingPays.
|11/03/2012||SVForum||Marketing Camp||Session: Personal Branding for Entrepreneurs|
|12/13/2012||CSIX||Job Networking||Session: Brand Yourself to Compete in a Changing Job Market
$5 for ticket
Saratoga Federated Church
20390 Park Place
10:00am - 1:00pm
|01/10/2013||Castilleja School - an independent school for girls grades 6-12||Leadership Branding Seminar||Private event for Castilleja students and parents|
|01/14/2013||SVForum||Marketing SIG Meeting||Session: Brand Yourself for the New World Order
Ticketed. Free to SVForum members, $20 for non-members.
|01/15/2013||BrandingPays, Leadership Palo Alto, Garden Court Hotel||Book launch party||Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce, Garden Court Hotel|
|01/24/2013||Wharton Club of SF and Swiss American Chamber of Commerce||Seminar and book reception||Session: Brand Yourself for Leadership and Business Success
Ticketed. $20 for WCNC members. Members of Affiliate Clubs: $20 per person. Non-member alumni and other guests: $40 per person.
555 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
|01/31/2013||Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce||Seminar and book reception||Topic: Brand Yourself for Leadership and Business Success
Open to the public
Beaverton City Library
12375 SW Fifth St.
Beaverton, OR 97005
|02/21/2013||Women in Consulting||Book talk||Topic: Brand Yourself to Compete in a Changing World
WIC members $40 in advance, $45 at door; non-members $55 in advance, $60 at door
Quadrus Conference Center
2400 Sand Hill Rd.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Women in Consulting Calendar
|02/28/2013||Asian Women in Business||Book talk||Topic: Brand Yourself for Leadership and Business Success
Ticketed. Free to AWIB members. Nominal fee TBD for non-members.
6-9pm, NYC (exact location TBD).